Re: Help with uricularia with no flowers

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 09:36:11 GMT

In your message dated Friday 26, July 1996 you wrote :
> Hi to all,
> I have a problem with my utricularia sandersonii. Since last week it
lived
> in the shade at the bottom corner of my balcony, but as the little stems
> started to develop flowers, these would get burned (they turn brown and
dry
> up). Now it is a week that I keep a plexiglass sheet over the vase in
order
> to increase the humidity, but no flowers seem to manage to grow yet, even
> though the stems don't seem to burn immedately. For an error that I made
at
> the beginning, I planted it in peat and sand 1:1, but the sand raised the
pH
> of the soil to a value of about 6.5. Anyway the bottom leaves are in good
> health and are propagating.
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
> thanks in advance
> Stefano Mosca (fly@rm3.flashnet.it)
> "Never express yourself more clearly than your thoughts" - Niels Bohr

What light levels are you giving the plant? Many Utricularias will not
tolerate strong sunlight. Also you could try raising the water level that
the plant is standing in. This will also help your plant to cope with high
daytime temperatures.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson