Re: S.Wriglyana & S,Minor

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 03:39:49 +1000 (EST)

Chris R. At 12:05 PM 29/07/96 -0700, you wrote:

> I have just purchased a rather nice S.Wriglyana (S.leucophylla x
> S.Psittacina). I understand that this is a naturally occuring
> Hybrid.One question springs to mind.The pitcher has basically no
> opening and thus for the plant to obtain its nutrients from insects it
> really has to hope that there are insects around with pec's the size
> of Arnies.There is no way any insects will get into the pitchers on my
> plant. How does the plant obtain its nutrients? Can it really be said
> to be carnivorous? Any comments anyone?

How old is your plant Chris? I have seen a number of different forms of
this hybrid, and in by far the most of these the leaves from a mature
rhizome have (mostly) some sort of opening. It doesn't seem to matter about
the size of the opening as long as there is some hungry insect in the
vicinity that is attacted to the nectar, it will get in if it wants to.
Here in Diamond Creek (Vic) there seems to be an abundance of (mostly
nocturnal) suitable prey.

I have also seen this plant produce leaves where the hood remains sealed on
all leaves, but the nectar roll does open just a smidge on some leaves.
Once again, as long as prey is present the plants will be fed and while it
may seem a comparative snack, it seems to be enough to keep the plant alive.
Of course if you want it to thrive, you can feed it.

So yes, it is most certainly carnivorous, just not as effective. I would
also suggest that many hybrid _Sarracenias_ cultivated from seed by the
likes of us, would not stand as healthy a chance in the wild. Only the
strong and most effective plants really prosper.

> Also I have seen various photos of S.minor.In some photographs the
> hood projects at 90 degrees to the pitcher (Adrian slacks Carnivourous
> plants book p56) in others it comes down over the mouth of the pitcher
> (Gordon Cheers p116). I have a S.Minor and a S.Minor Okeefenokkee.
> Both these plants have a hood that extends down over the mouth. Has
> anyone any comments?

I have a small form of _S. minor_ on which the hood curves down maybe 2mm
(1/10in) more than the photo in Slack. Its leaves rarely grow taller than
35cm (14") and are thin compared to other forms. I obtained it locally and
have no idea of it's geographical origin. I also have an Okeefenokee Giant,
another supposed 'giant' form (shorter than the Okeefenokee), and two medium
(on basis of leaf size and height) forms. All have curved down hoods to
different degrees. Seems likely that some of these may be different forms
from different geographical locations, others possibly variations within a
form, and my "supposed 'giant'" is likely to be an inter-form hybrid.

Regards,

Rob Brisler