Re: Pollinating Cephalotus...

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 00:09:20 +1000 (EST)

At 06:14 PM 02/08/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: Gary <garko@SFSU.EDU>
>And From: dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
>>
>> Hi, I'm new to this group and would like to test the waters by requesting
>> advice on how to pollinate my Cephalotus. It's blooming for 2nd time in
>> 3 years with two flower stalks rising from a cluster of 5 or 6 rosettes.
>
>I'm not sure when the stigma is ready for pollen and no one
>has mentioned it so far. The flowers on mine lasted for at
>least a week and I waited several days till the pollen was
>released. Then I pollenated the flowers several times and was
>rewarded with a couple of seed. So far, no germination but I
>think they need stratification.

If you have two flower stalks you will have better success at obtaining seed
if you can cross pollinate between flowers. I do so by rubbing open flowers
on different stalks against one another (works well for VFTs too). The
pollen seems to come away as soon as the flower opens. I can't say when the
stigma is ready, but I always manage to get at least two seeds per flower.
I suspect that if I were gentler with my pollinating I might get
more....perhaps I'd better see if my cat will donate a whisker.

I NEVER stratify them and have always gotten at least an 80% germination
rate. I plant them as soon as they are harvested, on standard _Sarracenia_
mix (3 peat moss:1 sand) and start them in a cold house (Winter temps down
to -2=B0C with an average daytime temp of about 14=B0C). I provide them=
with
half shade as in the wild these seedling start growing under the native=
grasses.
The seed takes between three weeks and three months to germinate......maybe
stratification would improve this, I haven't tried. They grow like weeds
for me and seem to like the company of pygmy _Drosera_ in the same pot.. =20

A couple of hints;
- From the day of planting, regularly (ie at least weekly)
spray the pot with a good fungicide until you have
pitchers growing.
- Do not let the pot get too hot (>20=B0C) until your
seedlings start growing pitchers.
- Always keep any pitchers (however small) at least half
full of water.

Hope this helps,

Rob Brisler