Re: Drosera Leaf Cuttings

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 05 Aug 96 19:53 EDT

> From: Gary <garko@SFSU.EDU>
>
> I've been propagating D. capensis via untreated leaf cuttings floating in
> distilled water. The leaves, after showing a little brownness around the
> tips have since sprouted one plantlet each. In the past, I have done the
> same with D. binata multifida, but when I lifted the cutting from the
> water, the sprout all but disintegrated into a limp mess. Does anyone
> have suggestions for potting these tiny, soft sprouts? Are there other
> species of Drosera that lend themselves to this inexpensive and effortless
> method?

Yes, root them in soil. Root cuttings work great for D. binata
and D capensis. Not only will you get more plants, they will live!
A couple inches of root layed just beneath the soil surface can
give rise to many plants. Root your leaf cutting in soil also,
but place them in the shade. Lay the whole leaf right side up
and bury the petiole so it can get water.

Dave Evans