Re: VFT leaf cuttings...

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:41:18 -0700

You wrote:

>Hi Everyone!
>
>I'm attempting to propagate VFTs via leaf cuttings, but I have a
question about the seedling plants. What do I feed them? I've noticed
>my seedling Drosera rotundifolia capturing minute book lice-like prey,
>but can't imagine any of these insects tripping the trigger hairs on
>VFTs.

These "lice" looking critters may well be Springtails. I'm told they
will not harm CP's and for several months after my seeds germinated
this is what the seedling fed on. It was hard to believe they tripped
the traps but indeed they did.

>Will the VFTs be okay "unfed" until they reach a size where they can
>trap midges and fungus gnats for themselves, or should I feed them
>diluted liquid plant food? And what types of plant foods do you
>recommend and in what dilution? Thanks, Gary.

I think the plants can survive without prey and I have never used plant
food myself. If the springtails serve as food it's a moot point.

Hope this helps,
John Walker