Re: Re: khasiana mix

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 16 Aug 96 16:36 EDT

> From: "Doug Fraser" <D.Fraser@BOM.GOV.AU>
>
> I grow my N. khasiana in a mix of two parts perlite: two parts
> orchid bark: one part peat. This mix has poor water retention and
> demands almost constant misting. I am changing all of my smaller
> nepenthes to a peat sand mix. The N. khasiana is a large plant which
> has a main stem about fifteen feet long with two basal shoots each
> about six feet long and numerous sideshoots. This plant has never
> flowered. It is severly underpotted, and grows in a ten inch pot. It
> shows no ill effects from this underpotting, but I suspect it has its
> roots down into the sand base of the shadehouse floor. I have found
> that both N.veitchii and N. ampullaria suffer if potted in a mix
> containing orchid bark. Hope this is of some help.

Hi Meryl,

What have you found to work well for these species? N.vei
and N.amp. Nepenthes roots are weird, I can't think of any
other plants which have roots like them. BTW, I found that my
lowland plants can handle more normal humidity levels and
peatier soils better than the highland plants. I suppose the
highlanders tend to grow in soils with even more drainage than
the lowland plants and I'm wonderring if they experience more
fog or misty conditions? I have a cool mist humidifier puffing
mist around the highland plants and they grow much better with
it. While the lowland plants could care less.

Dave E