Re: Daphnia

Sean Barry (sjbarry@ucdavis.edu)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:31:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, dave evans wrote:

> Has anyone tried sea monkeys? I know they're supposed to grow
> in salty water but perhaps they could grow without the salt?

Sea monkeys (aka brine shrimp) are available live and frozen from pet
shops, at least in the western US. They are grown in vast quantities in
the salt ponds at the south end of the San Francisco Bay, and presumably
elsewhere. Aquarists catch the shrimp in a fine mesh net from the
container in the refrigerator, and rinse the salt water out before
feeding them to freshwater fish. The same could probably be done for CP.

Sean Barry