Re: Re: Unleaded Petrol

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 27 Aug 96 17:16 EDT

> From: marsden@DIGICON-EGR.CO.UK(Richard Marsden)
>
> Things should be kept in perspective though.
> (cf. asbestos - in the US there is a disproportionate fear of asbestos)

What is to fear? Maybe it has something to do with the fact it is
a carcinogen that can't be removed from the body once inhaled?
Much like lead, if you ask me.

> (Benzene is banned in UK school
> chemistry labs - lead isn't). Some of the lead replacements (my vehicle
> *needs* lead for the valves) are still unproven, and again, maybe more
> dangerous (I'll probably replace my valves or change to diesel in the next
> few years).

Well, the lead in the schools will be in the form of metal, which
if touched can be washed off of hands. When it's in paint, air
and soil, things that can and are ingested, it's a whole lot
more dangerous. Of course benezene would be more dangerous to
children, it's not as though they can stop breathing...

> Also, catalytic converters are actually very dodgy. These can, and do
> produce some nasty chemicals - esp. when not properly maintained.
> I've also heard the arguement that catalytic converters reduce the
> power so much that the engine ends up burning *more* fuel to
> compensate...

Yeah, they do that when the owners of the car knowingly or unknowingly
burn leaded gas in their car. The lead coats the platinum (sp?)
or other catalysts. It only takes a tank full of leaded gas to
completely ruin a catalytic converter. So beware.

Dave Evans