Re: Re: Growing info for droseras

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Thu, 29 Aug 96 10:38:27 CST

In Message Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:43:57 -0700,
dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU> writes:

> I can't seen to grow this species :( It used to be very weedy
>a couple years ago. Then they all just died on me. Same for my
>for my friend, Tom Hayes, I believe. Anyway, I after killing
>quite a number of them, I now have two very tiny plantlets growing
>beneath the leaves of N.ampullaria. They don't look very happy
>either! I can't figure it out, what am I doing wrong here? Are
>these plants in need of very, very high humidity? The Neps are
>pitchering fine in the slightly higher than normal humidity in-
>side their terrarium. D.prolifera suffered the same fate and
>though I want to grow D.shizandra, I dare not try it, as I'm
>sure to kill it too. If any one has these plants and can tell
>me how to grow them, I'd love to try them again. Perhaps my
>lighting is the wrong spectrum?
>
>Dave Evans
Dave, I grow D. adelae and schizandra in a heated terrarium, in sphagnum,
shaded by white plastic from the direct afternoon sun, with two 20 watt
bulbs to supplement the lighting. They can be picky, they seem to like it
very humid and warm, but not too wet. D. schizandra does not like to be
disturbed at all, and I seem to get more plantlets than leaves from the
parent plant in the pot. For me they are the trickiest species I grow, but
perhaps my clones are particularly picky?
Good growing,
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202