Re: Sun Dew Questions

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 04 Sep 96 22:59 EDT

> From: Charles Wooten <cfwooten@CRIS.COM>
> I have a Sun Dew (Drosera capillaris I think it's called) plant and it has
> developed a stalk with buds on it. I take it this is the flowers it
> produces. Will there be seeds on these buds also? Also how do I prepare
> this plant for winter? It's been kept outside all summer and has done
> quite well.

Hi Charles,

Since Drosera has over 100 species in it, there is no way
to relie on cultural information for one species to work well
for another. I always have trouble growing any temperate plants
indoors while the tropical plants are easy inside. Hence, D.
capillaris is a plant I keep outside for the spring, summer and
fall seasons. I live in New Jersey and we have freezing cold
winters, you didn't mention where you live and I think if you
live below, say, North Carolina, you might be able to keep it
outdoors all winter long. Yes there should seed after the flowers
happen and they will be very small and look like dust. Keep
these for next spring. To do this, make a paper envolope to
hold the seed and keep it refidgerated. Sow them in March or
April, depending on when your winter ends. They can also be
sown as soon as harvested and left out in the cold. This can
improve germination but only if the pot (or whatever) is some-
what protected from damage or not lost over winter.

Dave Evans