Re: Nepenthes observations

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 12 Sep 96 16:29 EDT

> From: Alan Bickell <bickell@IDIRECT.COM>
>
> I used to dump the fluid(and dead bugs) out of the pitchers on my plants
> regularly. The theory being that the plant would make more pitchers to catch
> more bugs.

Yes, but no. I understand what you're trying to do but by taking
the plants's food away, all that's done is they don't get to eat.
when Nepenthes are getting the right level of nutrients, they will
grow quickly, just as you found out by fertilizing them. What
good would it do to add fertilier and a couple minutes later pour
it out?

> As pitchers aged(six-eight months) the rim and upper fluted part died back.
> I used to remove the pitcher at this point but it occurred to me that the
> pitcher was going through a series of stages in its life and that was just a
> stage. While young they attract and capture insects. During the second
> period, when the upper section has died, the pitcher is reabsorbing the
> nutrients from its "catch".

Yes, the same thing occurred to me. I think the pitchers absorb the
nutrient fairly quickly though, not months down the road. If that
were the case, the pitchers would have a lot more bacteria and fungus
in them feeding off the food before the plant could. It would probably
smell pretty bad. Anyway, I noticed that if the tops die, the lids
shrivel in such a way to allow rain to enter the pitcher. I think
the "reason" the lower parts remain viable is so they can absorb water
from the resevoir in the pitchers as needed. Comments please!!!
I just thought of this a couple weeks ago and am wondering if there's
anything to it.

Dave Evans