Re: Rainwater

Carl Gustafson (Carl.Gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:57:18 -0400

Carl Mazur wrote:

>Just a comment. If you use rainwater, it contains nitrogen. I'm not sure
>who told me this but, I was told that lightning causes a reaction of
>somesort, that ends up producing nitrogen. I find that plants watered
>with rainwater tend to grow much better for me than when watered with
>other sources of water. Maybe its all psychosamatic!

I've read this. Lightning converts nitrogen and oxygen to the appropriate
oxide, which then washes down as nitric acid. (In trace quantities, of
course). Also, depending on your location, nitrogen oxides from human
activities will also add to the nitrates in the rainwater.

Carl Gustafson (215) 895-1383
Imaging and Computer Vision Center | Software Guy Drexel University |
Macintosh spoken here Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Everyone is entitled
to my opinion