Re: Aging Nepenthes Growth

CMDodd@aol.com
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:12:20 -0400

>From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com>
>Subject: N. Khasiana Bottom Leaves Dying

>I recently purchased my first N. Khasiana. I potted it in a mixture
>of peat, perlite, sand, and pine bark. The peat is a mixture of fine
>and long-strand.
>
>The bottom part of the plant seems to be dying, whereas the top part
>of the plant continues to thrive. New leaves and traps are growing
>out at the top. Traps on the bottom are dying, and leaves are going
>from green to yellow. Is this a normal progression for this plant, or
>is this the first signs of trouble for the whole plant?
>
>If this is normal for the plant, when should I see some renewal on the
>bottom part of the plant?

This is a typical progression of Nepenthes in general. As tropical vines they
will lose lower leaves and traps as they climb. These structures have a
limited lifespan from several weeks to several months depending on the
species, nutrient load (how many insects the traps catch), and health of the
plant. As the pitchers age and die they may be removed, followed by the
leaves as they finally began to yellow.

As the vines climb higher, at a certain point they ususally start producing
basal shoots. At this point the climbing stem may continue growing or on
occasion this will abort and the plant will put all of its energy into the
new growth at the base of the plant. N. khasiana is generally vigorous and
may have several climbing stems, basal rosettes and many pitchers on an older
established plant. If the climbing stem is rather sparse ,not very attractive
and not producing many pitchers, wait until a basal shoot appears and
develops three of four good leaves, then remove the climbing stem for
cuttings.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather in his sleep.....not
screaming like the passengers in his car."

Cliff