Re: Re: Nepenthes liquid

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 17 Sep 96 16:31 EDT

> From: hilles@IGC.APC.ORG(Steve Hilles)
>
> I was intrigued by the way that the pitchers filled with 2-3 cc of liquid
> _before_ they opened. Does Nepenthes draw water from the pitchers in
> drought conditions? Or does it only derive nutrients from the pitchers? My
> speculation is that Nepenthes (mine anyway) tries to maintain a sort of
> fluid balance between the leaves, roots, pitchers, and growing tips,
> drawing water from wherever it can.

Your first question here is the same as mine. And as for the second,
I doubt they really get "drought" conditions that they can survive.
They are just not made for dry weather, at all.

> Is it ok to add water to the young pitchers, or should I let the liquid
> that appears do its work first?

Adding too much water does seem to push the pitcher to the second,
half dead, stage of it's life, but it's not a bad idea to give them
a little squirt of water to wash down any food that maybe stuck on
the peristome or just inside the pitcher. When I make cuttings, I
leave the pitchers on the plant, if they are present, and use them
to keep the plant hygrated. They certainly utilize the water in
the pitchers if they are without roots and that is what got me thinking
about the way water can enter a pitcher more easily after the top
shrivels, and that the plants might use this water to suppliment
the flow from their roots during their daily cycles.

Dave Evans