Re: Solving my fly problem

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 18 Sep 96 18:09 EDT

> From: doug bosco <dark@MCS.NET>
>
> Which Neps (and drosera) are the easiest to grow in a dry apartment (with
> minimum maintenance)?

Hi Doug,

D. capensis is the easiest and cheapest for indoor growing by far.
N.mirablis and any of it's hybrids and most any low-land hybrids in
general are easy to grow, but they will need some sort of inclosure
to maintain humidity. I built such a "terrarium" with four foot
shop lights above the growing area. Five of the six sides are
enclosed by 3 mil clear plastic sheeting with only the front open.
This allows the heat to get out and not fry the plants while
keeping the plants humid enough to pitcher well. In the winter,
I may have to add something in the front to protect them from the
very low humidity during winter but I doubt I'll need to shut them
up completely. :) They have been traping bugs all summer long and
the Mexican Pings are doing well growing between the plants where
it's bright enough for them. That is changing though, as the Ne-
penthes weed-like growth covers more and more of the soil.

Dave Evans