Re: growing Neps and heating methods

John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:38:24 -0700

At 07:25 AM 9/24/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
> Heating with a submersible water heater would probably work well
>as long as you have enough water to keep it submerged. Another
>possibility would be the use of a heating strip under the tank. I have
>two terrariums heated in this way, and they keep the soil surface heated
>to 75-80 in a room that is often 60 in the winter. The strips are the
>same width as a standard fish tank. I think they are commonly sold in pet
>shops that specialize in reptiles, and generally come as a kit with a
>rheostat to adjust the temperature, and necessary wires and clips. The
>strips themselves are sold by the foot. I should not that although the
>keep the surface of the soil at about 75-80, the air temperature above
>the surface is cooler than that. Hope this helps.
>Wayne Forrester
>forrestr@mendel.berkeley.edu

I use this same sort of heating strip for a terrarium in my living room, and
it has proven to be the best method I've tried so far. Tropical Utric's, D
schizandra and N. rafflesia are all doing wonderfully.
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
Health Sciences Library
University of California