Re: Re: growing Neps and heating methods

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:27:40 GMT

In your message dated Tuesday 24, September 1996 you wrote :
> Hi all
>
> I have been reading the postings regarding the heating of terrariums with
> great interest, as I have just built a terrarium, and am now trying to
> sort out the heating before the winter!
>
> In respoonse to Wayne's posting on 24th September, regarding the use of a
> "heating strip", am I right in saying that such a strip can only be used
> below the tank, not in the water in the bottom of the tank? In that case,
> is there anything suitable other than an aquarium heater to heat the
> water in the tank? My terrarium is 140cm by 65cm, with several inches of
> water in the bottom. I could use an aquarium heater, but that would only
> give localised heating in such a large area of shallow water.

The aquarium heater does not give localised heating since the water heater
sets up convection currents which mixes the warm and cold water. The warm
water then heats the rest of the terrarium very effectively, especially as
the extra warmth tends to encourage evaporation and so raises the humidity
levels.

> Another idea - if there was a fishtank aerator blowing air through the
> water in the bottom of the tank, would that more effectively transmit
> heat from the water into the air? (especially if the air was being
> recirculated within the terrarium, rather than being drawn in from
> outside).

It depends what plants you are growing in your terrarium. I tried it for
Nepenthes but I found the aerated water splashed onto the pots and plants
and made them far too wet. If you are growing plants which appreciate a wet
environment then the aerator may be useful although I don't think you need
it to even out hot and cold spots.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)