Re: Byblis pollen production

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 19:35:34 GMT

:mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
:http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm
> vox:+44 1792 205214 :Tissue Culture Kits for sale

Peter,

You need to use a tuning fork to get at the pollen in this species.
Strike the tuning fork and touch the side of the stigma with it. If
you have got it right pollen should be sprayed in a fine strem coating
the lower petal. I would guess in nature the pollen is aimed to cover
the back of the pollinating insect.

Scrape a small amount of pollen using (in order of personal
preference)a small knife, tweezers or a brush coating the stigma. Be
warned though, that I have never got a B. gigantea to self fertilise.
This year I have acquired a few more plants but so far none have been
obliging enough to flower at the same time to enable me to make
crosses.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)