Re: Dave Evan's fertilizer

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 07 Oct 96 16:24 EDT

> From: Steve Klitzing <stevek@INFORMIX.COM>
>
> What type of fertilizer do you use?

That doesn't seem to really matter too much just don't over do it.
I keep the three main nutrients near each each other. For
example, 20-20-20 or 15-20-15, things like that. Perhaps after
several years of trying different formulas, I might be able to
see a difference in the quality of plant growth. For now, the
improvement over the plants from when they were not fertilized
is so dramatic that I don't really see any need even both with
this... Oh, I use only fertilizers which have MICRO-nutrients
also. This may prove to be the most helpful part of the fertilizer.

> So far, the only thing I feed my plants is tubifex freeze dried
> worm cubes. And, the growth I've been experiencing lately has
> been due more to humidity and heat and light than fertilizer.
> I'd like to try a fertilizer that won't hurt or stunt the
> Nepenthes plants.

Yes, I feed them those too. However, I think the soils we use
in horticulture are so very devoid of nutrients (or they get
lost through runoff of excess water, or something) that even
some CPs need to get some artifical fertilizer that are not
insects. Just look at most potted plants. You can use a very
rich soil for them and they still need fertilizer every couple
weeks. Why? I don't know, but it is true for some CP also,
mostly Nepenthes. CP start out with very null soils (for the
most part) so after a little while, they will have taken every
last bit out of the soil and that isn't good for them.

Dave Evans