Re: Re: Venus Fly Trap Size

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 09 Oct 96 21:13 EDT

> From: John Boehme <jandce@IGLOBAL.NET>
>
> I have never heard nor seen of them getting eight inches long before. I
> thought mine were pretty big at 4-5 with a 1 to 1-1/4 inch trap. Do you get
> them that big? And if so, how?

Hi John,

Last week I think, we were talking about a VFT with foot long
leaves. I saw it in person so I know it was that big for a fact.
To get large plants you have to give them what they really like.
Although they seem to do alright in smaller pots, you can see
a dramatic increase in size over the summer when you give them
larger room for their roots. Also, using a pot with the soil
recessed about four inches from the rim helps to create more
humidity at the plant's base and that is where the new leaves
grow and that will give them quite a boost. I've taken to growing
a number of plants together in a larger pot than a bunch in a
number of separate small pots. I can then use a pot which is taller
so the plants have plent root run and recess the soil level. A very
good combo. You can expect two inch traps on very happy VFTs.

Most CP don't need super humid contions just a consistent higher
than average humidy, like 5-10% more than normal outside
humidity will give them what they get in natural environs. This
can be achieved by simply sheltering from too much sun and wind.
Sure, they live in bogs but there are the drying effects from the
sun and wind there too.

Dave Evans