Re: re: All Red Vfts

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 16 Oct 96 16:28 EDT

> From: BREWER_CHARLES@ECOMAIL.DAMNECK.NAVY.MIL
>
> I had the pleasure of attending the Carnivorous plant convention in
> Chapel Hill North Caroline on Oct 4, 5 and 6th, I saw dozens of Red
> Dragon VFTs for sale. They sold for as little as 3 dollars to as high
> as 6 dollars and free if you had something to trade for. I got lucky
> and was able to select through several racks of these plants and
> selected only the darkest, biggest and healthiest plants they had.
> None of these plants displayed any green to them. I will say one thing
> for sure, not all of these plants are created equal. Some red dragons
> had green in them while other plants were so dark red they appeared
> almost black. The reason for this is beyond me.

All cv 'Red Dragon' VFTs should have the same genetics, there by giving
them a uniform appearance when growing in the same *conditions*. I
would think those showing lots of green were probably not given quite
enough light. Smaller plants do seem to show more red... Perhaps this
is for better protection from the sun for the seedlings?

> I have yet to see an All Red Fly Trap with a nice bright red color.
> Until then I will keep looking and hoping.

A nice bright red as in what, the color of _______? I'm having trouble
figuring this out, 'cause red isn't very bright to me...

Dave Evans