Re: Pure, pure, species

Ron Lane (rl7329@sprynet.com)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 08:40:32 -0700

At 05:31 PM 10/19/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: PeterSmale@aol.com
>> >Steve writes: You can have the rest as curiosities as far as I am concerned
<<SNIP>>
>> Basically I'm with you Steve on this. One of the things I worry about is tha
>> a lot of people grow plants from seed obtained from mixed collections or
<<SNIP>>
> I worry that this desire for "pure" species
>can only be met with absolute confidence by obtaining plants from the
>"pure" source, namely from habitat.
>
>Michael Chamberland

Michael,
Although I have some concerns about hybridization within collections, along
with several of the other people in this thread, I don't know if a simple
statement about "pure" plants from habitat can be made. In many colonies of
Sarracenia, you can easily find 1st and 2nd generation hybrids growing
together with what 'appear' to be pure plants. How many variants of what
appear to be the pure plants are actually older generation hybrids cannot
easily be known [at least I don't think they are visually obvious]. This is
much more likely in the geographically isolated species (as others in the
thread have mentioned).

If the opportunity presents itself, I would recommend to everyone that they
spend some time observing the plants in their native haunts. The late J.C.
Moore, who led me on several trips around the Southeast years ago, used to
call S. leucophylla "The great bitch" for 'her' tendency to hybridize with
other Sarracenia. I'm not sure if S. leuco had more of a tendency than
others, but it was possibly more obvious than hybrids with S. rubra or alata
(for example).

As for my concern with hybrids in species, it is *easy* to get a hybrid, but
if all you have are hybrids, getting the pure species can be kind-of rough.
In many species worldwide, hybridization or uncontrolled inbreeding have
resulted in something less than a viable population. (Agricultural
foodplants, tropical fish, and common captive birds all contain examples of
this).
Ron Lane
RL7329@sprynet.com
Central NJ, USA