Re: Re: Pure, Pure Species

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 21 Oct 96 16:26 EDT

> From: Heggood@AOL.COM
>
> I also enjoy the natural hybrids such as S. x catesbaei and S. x wrigleyana.
>
> My point was that you can expect to find these in a natural stand. I doubt
> that you would be able to find a Dionaea in a North/South Carolina coastal
> plain setting that is indistinguishable from the 'Royal Red'. Therfore, you
> won't find one in my collection. I am not a purist, just eccentric.

Hi Steve,

I'm not quite following you even though you clarified your
statement... The seeds from which cv. 'Royal Red' grew, *were
wild collected*. So then, would the S. purpurea subsp. purpurea
(all-green), occurring naturally in northern sites, be welcome in
your collection? Just not plants like S.purpurea subsp. venosa
(all-green) which were grown from wild collected seed but then
propagated by the grower?
I'm a purist and that's why I see the var. heterophylla as a
very asinine designation for the northern S. purpurea (all-green)
plants.

Dave Evans