Re: Re: variegated cp?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 21 Oct 96 21:51 EDT

> From: John Boehme <jandce@IGLOBAL.NET>
>
> Again, please excuse my ignorance, what is variegated?
> (and what is "antho-free")

Hi John, variegation (sp?) is when there are some parts of a
leaf are one color while others are green (or what ever). A
variegated plant will often have a consistant pattern to the
color changes.

Anthocyanins are chemicals which are similar to chlorophyll and
may be a throw-back to before plants imployed chlorophyll to make
their food. Anyway, they often give plant parts the reds, blues,
and orange colors which can be quite striking in plants which
produce lot of it =-> the all red VFTs. Some plants which don't
produce red are often called (antho-free). This isn't really very
good since some anthocyanins are green or you may not see them
even if they are present. I use the terms (green) or (all-green)
for such plants. (Green) would desiginate plants like some S.
flava which don't have any red veins or other such markings yet
still produces red marks around injuries to the leaves and blush
markings on the petals. If it could not produce any red under any
circumstance, then it be (all-green).

Dave Evans