Re: Re: Jan's Drosera Dichotomous Key - D.brevifolia

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 24 Oct 96 17:46 EDT

> From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ECC-XS09.HONGO.ECC.U-TOKYO.AC.JP>
>
> Its is an assumption base on the fact that plants brought from the
> wild, after flowering, died during the dry season though I kept them
> humid, showing some kind of biological clock. Maybe the N and S.American
> ones are slightly different? I would really appreciate all the comments
> possible from any one out there on the growth cycle of this species.

Did the whole plant die or just the rosettes? I mean, did anyone
check to see if the roots were still there and viable? Perhaps,
they will die when they get to a certain level of dryness, I doubt
they would ever handle conditions that pygmea and tuberous Drosera
do...

BTW, I can send a packet of seed. I only harvested enough for three
packets, one for me, and two for trades. Also, I could send a couple
plants of flowering size now. In the summer, the plants seemed to
focus on growing leaves and then, in the late summer, flowering.
Now that it is very wet and cooler, they are growing many rosettes from
the roots and when I only had about four rosettes in the beginning
of the summer, I now have about 10. They are from north of Charleston,
South Carolina onlong route 17. Tom is that the right road?

> P.S. Hey Dave, you don't happen to have any seeds of these
> D.brevifolia, do you? Do you have any location data for them? I'm not sure
> if anyone has sent N.American D.brevifolia + D.capillaris seeds to my
> friend Fabio in Brazil yet and we would really like to compare them with
> the Brazilian counterparts.

I'm fairly sure Tom Hayes has sent D.cap but I don't know if he had
the D.brev flowering too...

Dave Evans