Re: Pest-free Nepenthes...

John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 08:18:45 -0800

At 07:27 AM 11/4/96 -0800, Perry wrote:

>I'm surprised that you don't obtain good color in your plants when
>you put them under lights. I put mine under fluorescents in the
>winter, a mix of cool-white and grow-lux. My N. khasiana pitchers
>achieve a pretty peach color blended with the green. And, my
>N. maxima and N. williamsii have no trouble getting their purple
>and maroon (respectively) mottling under these lights.
>
> Perry Malouf
I also have no trouble getting my Nepenthes to color up under flourescent
lighting. Perhaps it's the 10% peat in the soil mix?....who knows.
However, my typical type VFT's only get a very light shade of pink in the
traps and my "red jaws" and "Red Dragon" VFTs' are pure green under lights.
In my part of the country I have to grow them under lights; there is no
other choice.

Would "peat tea" perhaps help the coloring of a VFT? Anyone know the exact
UV light frequency that promotes coloration?

Regards,
John in Phoenix