Re: Stratification and Tissue Culture

Heiko Rischer (hrischer@Uni-Hohenheim.DE)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:53:02 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Jeffrey Welch (919) 541-0513 wrote:

> Will a cooling period (stratification) improve seed germination in
> vitro? Has anyone tried this? I'd appreciate any responses. In
> particular, I'm interested in _Dionaea_
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
Hallo Jeff,
in _Dionaea_ it is not necessary but in _Sarracenia_ it is very important
to get a high germination rate. The method I use is simply sowing the seed
sterile on the normal medium and keeping the vessels for about four weeks
in the fridge. After this time the containers are kept under normal
growing conditions (light). The seed will soon germinate.
Yours
Heiko