Re: Nepenthes low X high

Doug Thrower (thrower@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:28:39 +2100

>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 20:13 EST
>From: dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>Subject: Re: Re: Nepenthes highland or lowland ???
>
> > Seriously: There are only very very few species which are really
> > picky e.g. N. villosa (high), N. bicalcarata (low).
> >
> > Most can tolerate a compromise which does allow growth (not the
> > optimum growth of cause).
>
>Hi Andreas & List,
>
> Do you know how hybrids between the two extremes do in varied
>temperatures? I have a couple lowland only hybrids, they grow
>larger and faster yet still show and need for heat. The highland
>crosses involving N.maxima do not care while other hybrids like
>N. 'Dwarf Peacock' show stress if kept in lowland conditions for
>long. But I have no crosses between high and low...
>
>Dave Evans

I have a small N. bicalcarata X khasiana seedling (currently has pitchers
about 2 in (2.5 cm) in height) that I purchased from California Carnivores
this past July. It resides in a terrarium under fluorescent lights with
daytime temps typically ranging from 79-86F (26-30C) and night temps 69-74F
(20-23C). However during Sept. the day temps ranged from 90-95F (32-35)
for about a 5 day period. I noted no harm to the plant nor any significant
change in growth rate as a result of the hot spell. It would appear in
this hybrid that its lowland parent has given it a tolerance for warmer
temps, although I don't yet know how well it tolerates cooler temps.

Doug Thrower