Re: Overseas collecting

Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:22:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi Cindy,
I would say there are two parts to your question. The first part
is ethical. Is it OK, or even desirable, to collect plants or seeds from
the wild. I think that if the plants are in an area taht is going to be
developed and therefore destroyed anyway, collecting seeds or plants does
little or no harm since the only seeds that would have a chance would be
those that dispersed to a site that wasn't being destroyed. If the plants
are growing in a site that's not being developed, the question is a
little harder to answer. I still think that collecting a small number of
seed might not be such a bad thing, but I would leave the plants
themselves alone. If the plants are growing in a preserve of some sort, I
feel they should not be touched, and usually it's illegal to do so anyway.
That brings up the second part, which is whether it's legal to
collect and import seeds, etc. that you have collected. That will vary,
and others in this group will probably be able to answer that part of
your question. One thing I would say is definitely find out what the
applicable laws are and abide by them. I don't think ending up in jail
would be worth any collecting you might do. If collecting and importing
of a particular species is ok, make sure you have any necessary
paperwork. Just my thoughts.