Re: Re: Destruction of Wild CP

Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Sat, 16 Nov 96 19:41:00 EST

ok, I can't resist and please forgive me for what I am about to do. But
Dave's comments about aging cities falling apart and loosing their vitality
brings to memory a lecture I heard a lifetime ago (approximately 20 years)
about comparing the growth of bacteria and human cities. Bacteria growing
on nutrient agar grow great guns at first, forming nice little (or big)
colonies with millions or billions of inhabitants. This, however,
leads to decay in the center of the colony. But then, a small physiological
miracle occurs: regrowth in the center weeks later. The speaker
compared it to our cities, which often experience urban decay followed by
urban renewal. Or, should I add, at least urban renewal plans.

I can imagine that the cp lesson to learn here is to be patient with dying
cp's for they may go through urban renewal at a later date. I am certainly
hoping that will be the case with my D. adalae, which is experiencing urban
decay as I write.

Daivd
a former microbiologist

>Dave Evans wrote:
> I mean, it seems that as cities age, they simply
> fall apart and loose their vitality and so we have to keep clear in
> new land to supports cities? Why aren't cities able to be less of a drain?

Dave Evans