CP CD-ROM

Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:54:02 -0800

> Carl Mazur <cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca> writes:
>
> There has been alot of discussion of transferring the CPN Issues to
> CDRom. I LOVE IT! I teach communication Technology in a Highschool,
> and have many egar students who would love to scan (OCR) the text, and
> photos as well.

Carl, this is an absolutely fantastic offer! I'm sure we can scare up a
complete set of back issues for your class. If necessary, I'd be happy
to loan you my set.

I'm imagining each issue converted to ASCII html format with in-lined
thumbnail picture, each expanding into a full-sized picture when "clicked
on." All the pictures would also be linked into the CP database as
IMAGE entries.

I'm planning to replace my name, which is currently at the bottom of
each page in the database with a link to "the CP documentation team" -
an alphabetical "rogues list" of contributors. Each person would have
the opportunity to send in a photo and bio for acknowledgment on the
CD-ROM and on the WEB page. This will also be a nice place for us to
see what we all look like! Of course, we'd also acknowledge your
students with a page and photo for each one - they ought to get a kick
out of that.

> Dave Evans writes:
> Well, if it's only that much, I can't see making a seperate disk.
> However, I think it might still be a good idea to keep the CNP
> material on it's own "track" of the CD rom apart from our (your
> efforts, if I don't have the time to get some photos made for it.).
> What do you think? Perhaps there could be links to the CNP photos
> from Jan's list though...

I'm currently thinking it will simply be set up like subdirectories.

On UNIX, the disk would look like:

/cdrom/INDEX/index.htm

/cdrom/CP_DB/jansdata/...
/cdrom/CP_DB/pictures/...
/cdrom/CP_DB/html/...

/cdrom/CPN/1975/V1/pics/...
/cdrom/CPN/1975/V1/text/...

On Windows (DOS) it would be:

C:INDEX\index.htm

C:CP_DB\jansdata\...

C:CPN\1975\V1\pics\...

and so on.

To "fire up the system" you'd stick the CDROM in your drive, and type
"netscape C:INDEX\index.htm". This would be a top level web page
allowing you to jump to either an index of CPNs, or to something that
would look essentially like the existing CPDB web page.

Best regards,

--
Rick Walker