Re: Re: Neps liquid level

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 22 Nov 96 17:56 EST

> From: burkhard@ARIES.SCS.UIUC.EDU
>
> > Besides the plant drawing water up from the roots, I am
> > wandering if there is some sort of condensation action that
> > takes place within the pitchers that may helps to increase the
> > fluid level.

Well, I would think the the humidity inside the pitcher is higher
than outside so if there is water condensing on the pitcher walls, it's
from the water already present in the pitcher which. Of course,
mist, very tiny droplets of water, may be drifting in during foggy
and raining times. And again, so will some rain. When the sun is
out, I can't really see water actively pumping it's self into the
pitchers...

> Hi Charles. I am also quite surprised and fascinated, especially if the
> Neps are transporting enough water through their roots to fill up full
> sized pitchers. It seems that I may not be keeping the soil wet enough for
> my Sarrs and Neps.

Perhaps not for Sarracenia, which grows right around the water
table level. For indoor set-up's, you might want to keep them
a little drier than that. Fungus has a way of growing very well
inside, in too wet conditions. Nepenthes can handle much drier
soils than Sarracenia can (NEVER dried out though!). I assume
you know this though, else your plants would be very root rotted. ;)

> Your idea of condensation is interesting, however I have never
> observed any water droplets on the inside walls of the pitchers.
> Swabbing the inside walls of a pitcher might give evidence of
> microdroplets.

Hmm... I have seen droplets in pitchers here and there. I had
always though the plant was making them, not condensation...
Are there any glands in the middle part of the pitchers capable
of producting such droplets?

Dave Evans