(no subject)

Michael.Chamberland (23274MJC@MSU.EDU)
Sat, 23 Nov 96 12:16 EST

> From: dave evans <T442119@rutadmin.rutgers.edu>
>
> I do support conservation! I think education is the key to
> helping with this (that and just about every other problem we
> might face). So lets hear some controversy! How can we increase
> the population without wreaking the environment? Or should I
> say, "How can we stop from killing off species of no direct
> benefit to us?" Our environment might still be ok to support us,
> but will anything besides farm animals and crops be left?

Well, I question any "need" to grow the human population!!!

The problem is not only one of population. I see environmental destruction
as resulting from three driving forces:

1) Increase in the number of people
2) Increase in the level of consumption by these people
3) Increase in the level of technology, which increases the power
and impact of every person (at least those rich enough to purchase
the technology!)

I suppose it's consumer capitalism pushing all of this. But I really
don't know enough about economics to say much about that, or how we
could switch to a sustainable economic system. Any economists out
there?

Michael Chamberland