Re: CP Conservation

Michael.Chamberland (23274MJC@MSU.EDU)
Mon, 25 Nov 96 20:44 EST

> From: dave evans <T442119@rutadmin.rutgers.edu>
> If you said, "Look here is this county XXX, it's got some CP
> in it." I wouldn't have much trouble find a couple spots within
> one day. Even if they're not the spots you have been to. The
> point is this: To find out where plants are, the data is already
> out there in books and very easily accessible. If you look in
> Schell's book, it gives you a map for every species of North American

No. Schnell maps no Utricularia species.

> CP. I could easily find all the plants shown in his book using
> his maps. The additional data from the CP mapping project will
> not endanger the plants anymore than they already are!

Schnell's maps are ok. He provides a general map of a plant's range. That's
the general area where a plant is LIKELY to be found, not a list of sites
where a plant can PRECISELY be found. Actually, I think it would be useful
to have a more precise distribution map, down to the resolution of a state
county. Such maps are already available in the form of state and county
floras available from your (government funded) public libraries. It might
be nice to see these merged into a big single map for the US. I don't
think these endanger the plants unless they pinpoint roads and bogs where
the plants may be found.

Michael Chamberland