Byblis and N.lowii seed

HaKAN MUREVaeRN (Hakan_Murevarn@ivab.se)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:07:47 MET+1MDT

Wayne Forrester wrote:
> I have recently received seeds of Nepenthes lowii and Byblis
>gigantea from the ICPS seed bank. I have two quick questions. The first
>is, do you recommend keeping highland species like N. lowii in a warm
>place for germination? I have a heated terrarium that I could incubate
>them in (it's ~80 degrees F). Second, how do people recommend germinating
>B. gigantea? If the answer is with giberillin (I remember there was some
>discussion about this a while ago), then what concentration do you
>recommend and where do you get it? Thanks for any suggestions

I had success with _N.lowii_ seed in the spring of this year.
I prepared the pot in advance with moss peat, chopped a little spagnum on
the top and soaked it with rain water. This pot was standing in a plastic
bag for about 1 month before the seeds where introduced. After that I was
putting the seeds into the pot putting it in a window sill getting (April)
morning sun with no bottom heat. I was blowing into to the plastic bag
(giving it coldioxide, humid air change and the bad smell of me) twice a
week. It was germinating within one month.
Now I have many but extremely small and slow growing seedlings.

I would also like to succed with the _Byblis gigantea_ seed I have in my
fridge. I have got the answer that GA3 is not available in Sweden. Is there
any one out there that could supply me with this stuff (just enougth for
this seeds) I would be eternally greatful. In return i could offer some
of the seedlings above or something from my growing list. I also have
_Drosera scorpioides_ gemmeae to trade.

About _D.prolifera_ and _D.adelae_ I have these in bloom right know and
I will try to cross pollinate them to see if they can produce any seed.
I will tell you my success or failure later. I cultivate both these
plants in humid environment but without watering/spraying on the leaves.
The _D.prolifera_ I grow in living spagnum moss. Temperature 20 to 25
degrees Celcius.

Best regards from
Haakan Murevaern, Sweden
hakan_murevarn@ivab.se