Re: Some questions...

burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 12:01:40 -0600 (CST)

Phill Cook wrote:

> (2) Any hints on how to germinate Drosophyllum? Does Pietropaulo's
> approach of slicing bits off the seed work? Also, should I sow in
> early spring to have stable plantlets in time for the summer dormancy,
> or late summer?

Hi Phill. I received some Drosophyllum seeds from Glenn Rankin (thanks
Glenn!) and had no trouble getting them to germinate, which is most likely
due to the freshness of the seeds. I kept the seeds in bright light and
temperatures around 70 degrees F. I spray misted the seeds every day until
they were thoroughly wet. I believe the seeds absorb and store the water
until there is enough water to sustain the seedling. I had 100%
germination. I think you could sow the seeds now. If you sow the seeds in
the spring I do not think the seedlings would be large enough by the
summer to withstand dessicating conditions. Good luck.

Paul Burkhardt