Re: Neps problems

John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:13:27 -0800

At 12:00 AM 12/3/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Well, personally I've been less lucky this week. Seems my Nepenthes was
>thirsty a lot, top of some pitchers loosing consistency. I gave water, but
>now, 4-5 days after I notice pitchers tops turn to black, so I imagine I'll
>loose 2-3 pitchers of 8, especially the old ones and the higher ones.
>
>But in the same period the plant was displaced for 2 days, and I gave
>fertilizer. So, have the pitchers dried, then rotting when water came back
>? Was the plant in too cold conditions these days ? Does it need more
>light ? Or maybe the fertilizer did that ? Any advice will be appreciated.
>
>Laurent
Hi Laurent,

I find that my Nep's traps do this normally as they age. The tops of the
pitchures will dry and wither even faster if I feed them. The unfed traps
can usally last a month or longer before the tops start to wither, depending
on the species (I only grow lowlanders).

Regards,
John in Phoenix