Re: Another newbie Q: why isn't my sundew sticky?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 04 Dec 96 22:08 EST

> From: jellison@CEPS.NASM.EDU(Pat Jellison)
>
> I'm another newbie in cp culture; I received as a gift two 15 cm
> terrariums, each containing one pitcher plant, one sundew and one
> Venus' flytrap. *VFT*

> And one other question: would these three types of plants likely
> be found in close proximity in their natural habitat?

Yes. Sarracenia is one of the genera (sp?) of pitcher plant from
N. America. The other is Darlingtonia, but it has only one species
while Sarracenia has 8 or 10, depending on who you talk to. At least
four species of Sarr grow in the same place as VFT. Drosera is
one of the types of Sundew. There are atleast 120 species world
wide but only 9 or 10 from N. America. Three of which can be found
with VFT. You can find the plants growing near each other but only
rarely side by side since they have slighty different lighting and water
needs. Pinguicula pumila can also be found near VFT, BTW.

Dave E