Re: centipede

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 09 Dec 96 21:14 EST

> From: Dreyseth@AOL.COM
>

> of). It is very flat, with a rectangular cross section; it has two
> very sharp looking apendages or claws attached near the back of the
> head that curve down and around the sides to end at the mouth like
> mandibles; it appears to have two pairs of medium-length legs per body
> segment (26 legs) if viewed from the top, but only one pair if viewed
> from the bottom side (twice as many segments are visible); the
> creature is brownish rust in color.
>

> I am not knowledgeable in this area, but it seems closer to your
> description of centipedes, yet it was definitely eating dead and dry
> plant matter. Maybe I am wrong in this instance, but individuals do
> not always behave as one would predict, especially in a stressful
> environment.

You had centipedes w/o a doubt. Anyway, we are talking about them
eating the remains CP, right? If so, perhaps they were munching
on the leaves since some of the prey was still present in the bottoms
and walls of the traps?

> Spiders that I have found trapped in the house (and presumeably starving)
> hungrily consume the nectar of D. muscipula; although, as you pointed out,
> that they too are strictly carnivorous.

I would think most, if not all, arthropods would drink water from
off a surface like this. They drink water from dew...

Dave E