Re: Genetic Diversity

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 11 Dec 96 16:21 EST

> From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@SOFTWAR1.DEMON.CO.UK>
>
> The major thrust of the legitimate conservation agencies is towards
> preserving biodiversity. One of the biggest problems for a hobbyist like
> myself is preserving genetic diversity - in some cases I have resurrected
> a species of pygmy Drosera within my collection using the gemmae from
> just one plant, which strikes me as very dangerous.

Actually Nigel, you (and the rest of us) are in this way creating
more diversity! Now, each of our collected species which we keep
will be different from those of our trading partners =-> Since we
each select the best plants for our conditions by killing those
don't do well (whether we want to or not), overall, the individual
colonies we each have will show more diversity when compared to
the other colonies in other's collections.

Dave Evans