Re: Seeds

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:28:46 +0100

On 13 Dec 96 at 14:21, TED651@aol.com wrote:

> Just one question,do Darlingtonia seeds need to be refridgerated until
> use?Thanks.

I assume this question (and the previous one) originate beause of
the seed of Darlingtonia and Dionaea which I have just sent to some
people. As I said in the note I sent to the recipients, I believe
that Darlingtonia seed should be sown as fresh as possible, so sow it
now regardless of temperature or anything else. It 'stores' just fine
in wet soil, and germinates when temperatures are suitable (within a
few weeks at say 60F / 15C, and longer at lower temperatures). If for
some unknown reason you really must store the seed without sowing it,
then I don't know - it is my experience that commercial seed
(presumably stored) never germinates, and I don't intend performing
the experiment on my own seed since I already have a method which
works.

As someone else said, for dry storage, then a refridgerator should
prolong life, but does anyone really know?

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)