Re: Keeping Cp over the winter

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:58:32 GMT

In your message dated Friday 20, December 1996 you wrote :
> I am fairly new to the cultivation of cp, the plant I currently keep
> include, venus fly trap, s.flava, and a few types of sundew, including
> a staghorn sundew.
>
> Anyway this is the first winter I have kept these plants and would
> like some tips as to the best conditions for keeping cp over the
> winter, in a fairly cold north east of England.
>
> Cheers and a Merry Christmas
>
> Andy

You get much colder winters in the north east than we do in the south
west but my advise would be to keep the flytrap and the S. flava in an
unheated greenhouse. You can provide a little heat to keep the
temperature btween plus 5C and minus 5 but it is not absolutely
neccesary. If you don't have a greenhouse the best thing to do is to
bring them indoors but keep them in an unheated room otherwise the
plants will not get a proper dormancy. You can also keep these species
outdoors but this is not neccesarily 100% reliable.

The sundews will depend on the species involved but assuming you don't
have any tropical or temperate species it is best to keep them at a
winter minimum of 5C. The temperate species will happily take outdoor
conditions.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson