RE: where to find plants

Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Mon, 23 Dec 96 17:13:00 EST

Hi Alan,

I've been travelling much lately so am only now finding time to give you
some suggestions. Your best bet for getting cp's is to let people on the
list know specifically what you want and negotiate a price. If you point
out that you're a near-starving student, you'll likely get a big price break
and some freebies, so work that angle hard. Prices are usually very fair
and shipping is usually $4 or less within the US. I'm having much fun now
trying cp's from seed. (Jay, take note here. Here's a part of cp'ing you
haven't really experienced yet.)

As for stores in the Atlanta area, a few carry cp's occassionally.
Hasting's Garden Center has vft's, and Nepenthes occassionally; Randy's
Nursery in Lawrenceville, a suburb of Atlanta, has Sarr rubra and Sarr
leucophylla for $7; Florafarm in Cummings has vft's and Nepenthes; and the
Atlanta Bot. Gardens has vft, Drosera, and hybrid Sarr for less than $7 in
the ABG store. The ABG is focusing more on conservation efforts of a few
species rather than having every genera, species, variety, form, cultivar,
sport, allele, and gamete (I'm teasing the taxonomists here.) in the world.
They have a very nice selection for the public.

The expert in Roswell that I think you're talking about is Henning, who's
with the Chattahoochee Nature Center. I recommend him highly as someone who
will be fair with you on prices and very helpful on growing tips. His
number at the CNC is 770-992-2055.

On Dec 5, Alan wrote:

> Where can I expect to buy carnivorous plants? I've bought the few I have
from large home
> improvement stores. I can't seem to find out anywhere else to get them.
> Also, I've heard that the Botanical Garden in Atlanta, GA has the largest
> collection of carnivorous plants in the world. Has anyone seen them?
> I'm interested in going there and also to Roswell, GA where I've heard
> that they have a large collection and a resident CP expert.

Alan