re: sphagnum moss

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 12:53:26 PST

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 15:53:26 -0500
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: sphagnum moss

     John,
      In regards to sphagnum moss. It sounds as though you are trying to
     hard to keep it alive. All the sphagnum moss I have seen growing
     outside usually grows on pond banks or in water that is constantly
     moving. Like vfts, I grow my moss on peat/sand mix or just plain dead
     moss, that is well drained and very moist. I also grow the moss out
     side all year long. During the colder part of the winter, the moss
     will freeze hard as a rock. In some cases, it will stay this way for
     several days even a week or two, without and harm. I find that cold
     weather does not impacted it at all. If anything it's necessary.
      During the growing season (spring/summer/fall) I grow my moss in large
     container with high sides. These containers are located in a semi-sunny
     location, meaning that the moss gets morning and afternoon sun only.
     The growing container had sides which are approx 1 foot high. This
     helps keeps the wind from drying out the moss as well as holding in the
     required humidity. I also have drain holes located in the bottom of the
     container. This allows the rain water to slowly drain out leaving the
     moss plenty moist, but not swimming in the same water day after day. It
     takes about a full day or two for the water to drain out after a good
     size rain. The drain holes are important in allowing the moss to
     constantly have a continues supply of fresh rain water running through
     it.
      I process my moss by cutting off and using the growing points/heads
     only. This assures me of always having plenty of moss. I hope this info
     helps you out.
     Charles Brewer
     Va. Beach, Va.