Re: Re:N.macfarlanei

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 16:07:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 03 Jan 97 19:07 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re:N.macfarlanei

> From: Alastair Robinson <100611.1627@COMPUSERVE.COM>
>
> Of course, this mightn't apply at all and maybe the D.melanogaster will
> work a treat! - I have an 'unsolvable' problem with N.khasiana - it won't grow
> at any temperature or moisture levels, and I've tried orchid and peaty composts.
> It has had three and a half leaves for two years, but it isn't showing any signs
> of leaving and I have given up on trying to coax it into growth - everyone is
> always going on about how vigorous it is..!

Hi Alastair,

    You might want to try 1:1 peat:sand and then add about a
third of whatever volume you have as fine pine bark chips. I
was suprised at how some highlanders have responded to this mix =->
Growing much faster than in a "normal" Nepenthes mix. You can
mix in a little long fiber Sphagnum too. I haven't tried this
on N.khasiana since mine died in a regular Nep mix. If I ever
get another, you can bet it's going in this newer mix.

Dave Evans