Re: Mycorhhizal assc. in Neps.

From: A. Griesser (agrie@icanect.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 16:24:27 PST

Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 00:24:27 +0000
From: "A. Griesser" <agrie@icanect.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mycorhhizal assc. in Neps.

Dave,

I do not know if it is any good, but a mycorrhizae inoculant is
available from A. M. Leonard (800 543-8955) under the name
"MycorTree Tree Saver", which claims to contain "beneficial
endo and ectomycorrhizal fungi, Terra-Sorb water absorbant gel
and plant biostimulants". The smallest quantity (50 3 oz pakets)
costs $97.50.

Has anyone tried water absorbant gels in cp culture? It might
give you a view of Utricularia and Genlisea traps.

> From: Alastair Robinson <100611.1627@COMPUSERVE.COM>
>
> Diversity thread... On uprooting <there, I said it!!> a young wild N.mirabilis
> and inspecting its roots, I was surprised to find them encased in 'tubes' of a
> fine intermeshed fibre which I have seen on the roots of some orchids
> If Nepenthes can co-exist with a symbiotic fungi, then it is most probably
> beneficial, as it is for orchids.

Hi Alastair,

   Have you manage to cultivate this maybe fungus? Only seen it
in the wild?