Re: Sphagnum cultivation

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Sat Jan 04 1997 - 10:13:00 PST

Date: Sat, 04 Jan 97 13:13:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sphagnum cultivation

On Jan 4, Jay wrote:

>My collection of different moss forms is becoming (almost) as large as my CP
>collection and I'm cultivating some newly-acquired moss (very nice, low
>grower, non invasive .. THANK YOU, DAVID) in a three-inch pot underlights in
>my closet greenhouse-of-sorts.

This is truly a neat little moss that looks like a low-pile, plush carpet.
Any sphagnum moss experts out there that can shed more light on it. It
might be a nice moss to use for Drosera's, which I plan to try once I
grow enough of it. Like Jay, I have several kinds, one I call Jethro,
big, lanky, and stupid and grows all over everything. I think you know the
type. Another has a much smaller crown but still rather bushy. And then
there's the dainty moss, no real head like the others, hence the plush pile
comparison. I almost wonder if it's sphagnum.

>One thing I have just noticed, after returning from two weeks out of state ..
>living moss seems to be a good home (unfortunately) for Botrytis! (yech).

I had this problem, too, in pots on occassion but never in my outside bog.
Of course, I've only had an outside bog for a year now, so there's not much
history there.

One of the cp books says not to use sphagnum moss because of the problem with
critters. True? Personal experiences you can share?

David