Re: cell stains

From: Mark van Kleunen (M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl)
Date: Sun Jan 05 1997 - 23:30:16 PST

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:30:16 +0100
From: Mark van Kleunen <M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cell stains

>At 01:23 AM 1/4/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>Today I flattened a bladderwort bladder between a cover slip and a slide
>>to view it under a microscope at home. Unfortunately, the cells
>>were rather difficult to see. Does anyone know of something
>>around the house or readily available that can be used as a stain for
>>cells?
>>Thanks,
>>--Zachary--

Zachary,
Different substances are used to stain different kinds of plant material
(lignin, cork etc.). You might incubate the bladderworts in blue toluidine
which stains cellulose. However, I do not think you can find it around the
house.

>Hi Zachary,
>
>I seem to remember from high school biology that liquid iodine (used for
>cuts and scrapes) was a stain. Then again I could be mistaken :-)
>
>Hope this will help,
>John in Phoenix

Iodine is used to stain starch, I don't think the bladderworts will contain
much starch. But you can try it since it is easier to get than toluidine.
Good luck,
Mark van Kleunen