Re: A question about Drosophyllum!

From: Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 08:29:20 PST

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:29:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: A question about Drosophyllum!

Hi Phill,
        Given my extensive experience with cultivating Drosophyllum, I
think I can answer your question. I planted four of the seeds I received
from Glenn Rankin, and had a single seed germinate and grow successfully
(Thanks Glenn. I'm so excited I check the little plant every day to watch
it's progress). I never saw any non-carnivorous leaves produced on this
plant at germination and don't know whether this is typical, or perhaps
they were produced but did not break the surface of the soil. Anyway, all
the leaves have been exactly as expected. The first leaves I saw were
about an inch in length and had plenty of "dew" covering their surfaces,
and all subsequent leaves have looked the same, although they were much
longer. I hate to say it, but it sounds like you have a weed growing. It
took 5 or 6 weeks for mine to germinate, so perhaps you just need to wait
longer. Hope this helps.
Wayne Forrester