Re: Re: ?D.peltata?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 14:23:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 06 Jan 97 17:23 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: ?D.peltata?

Hi Jan,

> If your plant has a corm, this number is clearly an aberration. But
> this kind of thing is not at all unusual in _Drosera_. The plant
> "meant" 5 but by "mistake" produced 6. Did you count the styles
> (should be 3 at the base)?

I didn't have the chance to count anything inside the flower... It
was very fast at closing up. I must have caught it has the flower
was already closing. It (they) have corms, BTW.

> The key wants 5-20 but poor (cultivated) specimens could have less.

It *appears* quite happy. Of course, it's still under lights, in
a pot, ect... (traps are red at the tips so they ought to be
getting the right amount of light.)

> Anyway, the differences between many of the recently described forms
> and _D. peltata_ proper are in some cases so weak that their
> distinctness is in some cases rather doubtful. All of the new forms
> were described from W AU, and the respective author is not
> necessarily familiar with the species and its variability on a global
> scale.
>
> > > What I did come up with is D.salina...
>
> Did it have:
> "Lamina of basal leaves flabellate, folded, (...) erect stem
> flexuous" as noted in the key?

Flabellate (fan shaped):no, though some do come close. They
also didn't match the leaves for D.peltata either but fall
somewhere in the middle... The leaves: none are flat and some
are folded and the stem is flexuous, but then I can't believe
any of the stems on any upright species wouldn't show some
bending where the petioles join the stem... How much bending = flexuous?

> > The sepals sound more like peltata too - D.salina has glabrous sepals
> > according to Lowrie, while peltata's are dotted with terete-stalked
> > glands.
>
> The extent of indumentum and ciliature of the sepals in _D.
> peltata_ is very variable, as has been demonstrated by the only
> thorough investigation on this topic by Barry J. Conn, so I have
> used this character for determinative purposes only very reluctantly.
> _D. peltata subsp. pletata_ has "hairy or glabrous" sepals,
> already subsp. _auriculata_ has "glabrous" ones (cf. the mentioned
> key).

I didn't notice what the key mentions about the sepals for D.salina.
The sepals did have quite a bit of brown hair on them though.
If D.salina is glabrous then this plant is not it.

Dave Evans